Poetry, articles, columns, opinion pieces, etc.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Going Abroad Essay



Life is really about what you make of it. To me, it is not about the size of my paycheck or the kind of car I drive. It is about the people I surround myself with, following my dreams and most importantly, the experiences I encounter that truly shape my life. Studying abroad is one thing I have always wanted to do. I know it will be a life changing event and I will learn a lot, not only in the classroom, about different cultures and people, but about myself. I am a third year Communications major with a love for writing and learning. I am very dedicated, focused, and hardworking. I feel studying abroad will benefit all aspects of my life and allow me to look at things through different perspectives. I am very interested and excited to study in Sweden, I know I will get so much out of it and forever remember my time abroad.

I try to get very involved with extracurricular activities and make the most of my time in college. Since I can remember, I have been involved with sports. I was a three sport athlete through high school and continued into my freshman year with a scholarship to UC Irvine. I think it has contributed to a huge part of who I am today. More than the game, I learned how to get along with others, commitment, hard work and dedication that will continue to help me throughout the rest of my life. Along with sports I have done everything from Camp Fire, youth group, volunteer work, and various clubs. I am currently the sports editor and staff writer for the school newspaper, a DJ for the school radio, conversational partner to three international students, and on the Ultimate Frisbee team. I think all of these activities have helped me to become more outgoing, adventurous and open minded. They have prepared me to handle different situations and become well rounded. Aside from the Communications courses I have taken, a few others have caught my attention. A general education course I took, Sociocultural Anthropology, opened my eyes to different people, societies and cultures. I enjoyed learning about the different cultures throughout the world and know that Sweden would be a good place to see for myself and experience their traditions.

I feel my academic and career goals will tremendously benefit from my time abroad. I want to learn how different countries and cultures see the media. How national news is portrayed throughout the world. Being abroad will allow me to see the different aspects and contrasts of the media. It will also give me insight to what it would be like to travel and write, being that I want to become an independent journalist and write stories around the world. It will familiarize me with different places and different cultures.

I truly feel that at this point in my life, after all the obstacles and triumphs I have faced, I am now more than ever prepared for a new experience that will leave an impression on me for the rest of my life. It is not just a reason to get away or escape, but I know it will be life changing and provide me with many unforgettable and irreplaceable memories. I have worked hard for everything I have earned and will do whatever it takes to be able to experience studying abroad. I don’t want to regret letting the opportunity of a lifetime pass by.

No comments: