Poetry, articles, columns, opinion pieces, etc.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grandpa

Grandpa was a wonderful, loving husband, son, brother and father. He believed in old school ethics and values, worked hard throughout his life to provide a good lifestyle for his family and take care of them the best he could, giving them everything they needed. He achieved many great accomplishments in his time from pursuing his education to a Master’s Degree, always intrigued to learn more at every stage of his life. Lt Col in the United States Marine Corps for 23 years, where he served in WWII and the Korean Conflict and was stationed all over the world. He served on the Nevada State Cabinet as Director for the Department of Motor Vehicles. All of these accomplishments, experiences and memories are what filled much of my Grandpa’s life but he would never let those things interfere with his family and friends which are what truly shaped my Grandpa and made him the man he became. Grandpa was happy to just be in good company and conversation. He was a very humble man and always gave everyone a fair shot.


After retiring from the Marine Corps, he was able to slow down and spend time with my grandma, where they finally settled in Las Vegas for the final phase of life together. They lived an easy lifestyle and had everything they ever needed; each other and a love that no one or nothing could take away. I often think about how in the last couple years when visiting with my grandparents, my grandpa would sometimes become upset and get a little irritated with my grandma, but he would always be sure to hold onto her hand and say thank you and how much he appreciated her, telling her to take a rest. Even at this stage in his life, he still loved my grandma like the first day they met. It is love like this that is special and rare.


He lived his last years very simply enjoying everything around him, not big for travel or luxuries, but rather the time spent with family and friends. Whether it was just watching and feeding the birds in the backyard or reading the newspaper every morning, it was these little things that filled his daily routine. When he would come visit us on the coast, he loved to sit on the pier and watch the waves crash in and the surfers carve back and forth.


He instilled the passion of writing in me and I have inherited many other traits from my Grandpa that I hold dearly and am very thankful for. Along with showing me the best free entertainment out there: people watching. I remember when mom, grandma and I would go shopping or even farther back when we would go down to the strip in vegas and all he wanted was a nice bench to sit at while we did our business. We would come back and he would be immersed in conversation with complete strangers or in your later years taking a little snooze, but it was all he needed and I’m sure more entertaining than any vegas show. I’ll have to admit it, I love to sit and people watch as well, pretty funny.


Even when Grandpa couldn’t get many words in, he still always listened and gave good advice. Full of clever remarks, witty jokes and often random information sure to spice up any dull moment are some other things I will always remember when I think back on my Grandpa.


I will always hold these memories close in heart and will continue to carry his traits and lessons I’ve learned from him throughout the rest of my own time here.


He was always very active up to his final years, proof of this is shown in his numerous handball and boxing champion plaques and rings that fill his "look what I did" room from his younger competitive years. Then as those years passed, he could always be seen at the local fitness club swimming laps and then meeting up with his buddies in the sauna for good company and conversation. It was his outlet to get out of the house and grab some fresh air and energy.


As I finish writing this and reminiscing on my memories with my grandpa it is hard to hold back the tears, but I know he is watching over and would love us all to just soak up life and live it the way we choose. He lived by the motto of living easy and freely; less is more. Which we can all use a little reminder of.


Grandpa made quite a name for himself, coming a far way from the little town of Turkey River, Iowa he was born into. Working hard for everything he earned and always believing, are what got him through his journey and lead him to his final destination. Through the trials and triumphs that accompany our lives, he never let them bring him down and always survived.


May his spirit live on forever in all of us and show us all how important it is to take the time to savor our surroundings and slow down to enjoy the company of one another. He lived a fulfilled life with the ones he cherished most, doing what he loved. I am blessed to have had him as my grandpa and experience the impact he left on me.


Well Grandpa, we are returning you to sender, save me a spot up there and don’t worry Grandma, Peppy and Kitty are in good hands with my mom and I.

No comments: