Poetry, articles, columns, opinion pieces, etc.

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Little Respect Please


Why is it that people feel they can treat complete strangers like crap for no reason? I have worked as a waitress the last three summers and have never been treated so badly by complete strangers. Although, most of my customers have been fine, but it is always the bad ones that weremember most. I just don’t understand who people think they are treating an innocent waitress so horribly. Is it a position of power they feel they have over someone for that moment when I am serving them? I honestly feel that is a huge part of it, because the customers that gave me the hardest time were usually the least educated and lower class citizens. They take advantage of servers, because that is probably the only time they have power over someone or something in their lives. I would give great service and take good care of them while they were dining at the restaurant I worked at, but they would always find someway to demean me and make me feel worthless. My coworkers and I would always talk about the rude customers and tell each other we shouldn’t even care because those people mean nothing to us, but I would always take things personally unfortunately and it would make me feel bad. Some of the worst customers I have ever had would make personal attacks on me that had absolutely nothing to do with the service or food. It was really unnecessary, but I guess it made them feel better about themselves and boost their self-esteem. I just think there are better ways to do that then attack your friendly local restaurant server, who is just trying to make a few bucks to keep the college loans down. Also, while I’m ranting about that, people need to know about gratuity. I don’t think they understand that a server’s job is based on tips. That we get taxed on 11%, so the government assumes we make at least 11%, so basically when we get stiffed, we are technically losing money to serve you. Good tippers usually can make up for bad tips. Don’t eat out if you aren’t going to tip. It should just be assumed and if not there is always a McDonald’s down the road, with a dollar menu. Waitressing is not a fun job, so try not to make it even harder on the server. You really think somebody likes waiting on rude people that always need something or there is always something wrong? It is usually just good money and flexible hours for college students. The good thing about working in a restaurant is that it really made me want to get a good education so I won’t have to be doing it my whole life. I really feel sorry for the older ladies that have waitressed their whole lives and have to rely on it as their only income. If you ever need an incentive to get an education and go to school, become a waitress. You will quickly be motivated to get a degree.

No comments: